2.15.2009

My new hobble

Having survived surgery on Friday the 13th and winced through the day after when the nerve block wore off, I thought I'd finally update everyone on the status of the knee. First and foremost, the surgery itself was a treendous success, and the experience was much more palatable than the previous one. This time around I had a nerve block in my leg coupled with conscious sedation, and I did not suffer any of the ill effects I had last time with general sedation. In fact, the anesthesiologist joked that he was going to give me "some tequila, no worm," and the next thing I remember was asking the nurse if we were going into the OR. She informed me, much to my delight, that we were headed out of the OR.

The biggest bump on the road to recovery is the day after surgery because at some point the nerve block wears off "rather dramatically." Luckily for me, the first wave of support was here; Jessie, Phil and Alexander really came through for us by helping with the house, the kiddo, and the one-legged monster growling on the couch.  Zander is almost a sufficient babysitter by himself because Aidan either sits and stares at him mesmerized or wanders over to stand next to him or lean on him.  In any case, this is my first of many very public thank-you's for everyone who's coming to help. Thank you Kerns, I am lucky to have you as part of my family!

This afternoon an additional Aidan wrangler arrives; Ellen flies into Philly around 3pm. I am always so excited for family to come and see what Aidan is up to now, and with all the walking and talking he is doing, the excitement is paramount. I'll be sure to keep you guys updated.

0 comments: