6.04.2009

Reader Rabbit

I just wanted to put up a post to talk about AJ's recent glut of books. For the last 5 or 6 days, we have read around 15 books a day. To be accurate, its probably 6 books a total of 15 times, but the kid has preferences, who doesn't?

The really neat thing about this new activity is that its origin lies soely with the champ. He'll grab a book and bring it over to me, then settle himself in between my legs or in the crook of my arm for the story. My favorite is when I am lying on the couch or the futon and he hands me the book, climbs up, and lies down right next to me to read.

His favorite book right now is Shiver Me Letters, a Pirate ABC. I think it has something to do with the pirate voices that Dad uses, but he says "Arr" every time on the first page, and he parrots "Yo-ho-ho-ho" when the shipmate spies a Y. We read this at minimum 5 times a day.

Whats interesting to me is that he does different things with each book. Some, like Shiver Me Letters, he will listen to straight through. Others he doesn't want to read at all, but he wants you to hold it open for him so he can flip the pages. There are even some that he has favorite pages on that he will turn straight to.

I also wanted to tell you (/brag) that he knows 5 books by "name."

Shiver Me Letters - he'll say "Arr" when he brings it to you

Snoozers - he says "chee-chee-tah" which is how the sleeping cheetah snores in the book

I love You Through and Through - "I ya ya" means I love you

Hop on Pop - "Bup bup bup" means up, up, up; the book starts with "Up pup, pup is up."

Go Dog Go - "Go go go!"

I love this kid.

4 comments:

jess said...

how wonderful! he is such a smart little cookie!

Kristin Mullins said...

Ditto Jess! He is a smartypants. I'm excited he likes the pirate alphabet book. It is super cute.

14 said...

Its a great book, but I can recite the entire thing from start to finish at this point.

"R!" roared the Captain, "R's not enough! We need other letters to help make us tough. Let's sail far away to find A-B-C's. Bring me back D's, E's, F's, and some G's!"

Don Scavia said...

How great! Hop on Pop is one of my favorites. Of course Yertle the Turtle is best.